This post should actually be called, “How I Survive the Freezing Cold Canadian Winter”, but maybe that’s a bit over the top? lol. Have you all heard of Hygge? It’s a trendy Danish word that comes up every winter (but won’t ask me how to pronounce it!), meaning “taking pleasure form the soothing, ordinary, and inexpensive things in life”. Our loooong cold, snowy Canadian winter nights leave me craving wool socks, thick blankets and a roaring fire every night. So I hygge’d (not a real word…) up my living room and I wanted to share 5 ways that you can add hygge decor to your home.
*This post was sponsored by Wayfair Canada and it may contain affiliate links. When you buy a product through one of my links, I get a commission at no cost to you! For more information, please see my disclosure page.*
5 Ways to Add Hygge Decor to Your Home:
1. Bring in some heat – Physically adding warmth to your space in the best way to create a cozy environment. Turn on your fireplace, or better yet stack on some wood if you can! Flicker some candles in your favourite candlesticks or tea light holders and leave the overhead lights off.
2. Add some texture – Surrounding yourself with soft, warm textures will instantly warm you. Throw on you wool socks and oversized sweaters, grab a chunky blanket, and pile the couch with fur pillows. Create an environment that you never want to leave!
3. Bring in the outdoors – Bringing in some greenery will help the space feel more serene. I don’t have a lot of “wintery” greenery that I can keep alive, so I opted for some other natural textures like leather, wood, and stone to warm up my living room.
4. Serve yourself or others with comfort – Whether your home alone or hosting some friends, keep the warm drinks coming in your favourite mugs. Serve up food on those wooden serving trays, with a candle lit, and you’ll be sure to create an intimate environment that won’t soon be forgotten.
5. Enjoy the space around you – Hygge is not about being excessive. Surround yourself with pieces that tell a story and make you feel at home. Whether those are antiques, decor you picked up on your travels, heirlooms or sentimental gifts. We pulled out one of our favourite crocheted blankets for the winter – it was a wedding gift that will always hold meaning for us.
Top Hygge Decor Picks:
Here are some of my favourite pieces to help you create that hygge mood.
From top left to bottom right:
Candlesticks / Ceramic Mug (similar) / Sheepskin Rug
Fur Throw / Chunky Knit Throw / Black Candle
Iron Cage Tealight Holder / Wooden Serving Tray / Wooden Candle Holder
Wooden Board Set / Black Tassel Throws / Mongolian Fur Pillow
I’ve joined with 4 other amazing bloggers who are sharing hygge in their modern homes! Follow the links to their sites below!