Lemon is the flavour of the Spring.
Am I right? Or am I right?
Lemony goodness screams Springtime.
Or maybe its just the colour yellow that screams Spring…. but something about the prospect of sunshine coming out, leaving the house without a coat, and pulling out my rain boots makes me want to bake lemon treats.
So I made some cupcakes :)
These cupcakes were moist and airy, and a snap to create! Hope you like the recipe!
(for 12 cupcakes)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tbsp. finely grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
1/4 cup butter (softened)
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon rind
2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Fit 12 muffin cups with paper liners (or grease them). Preheat oven to 350F.
- In bowl, beat butter until light. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, lemon rind, and lemon juice.
- Stir a third of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, then half of the lemon mixture. Repeat, finishing with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Spoon into prepared cups. Bake in centre of oven for 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack.
- In a bowl beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in half of the icing sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice until smooth. Beat in remaining icing sugar.
- Spread over cupcakes – I used a thick icing tip to create a circle, and placed mini eggs in the centre for a festive Easter “birds nest” idea :)
Honestly, if you’re looking for a moist lemon cupcake, this one is delicious!
And still moist days later :)